In Part 1 of this series, we highlighted the three budgets used in Clinical Scheduling Extensions. (Missed Part 1? Be sure to read it.) Understanding budgets is key, but what do you do when unit leaders and other departments ask questions about variances and calculations? This second part will provide a sample process to guide you and unit leadership through reconciling budget metrics and making the needed changes in Clinical Scheduling Extensions.
Help! My HPPD doesn’t match the HPPD from Finance.
UKG recommends conducting annual maintenance each year to update budgets, matrices, and other key information. If you’re a new system administrator, here are some tips for supporting your unit managers and finance team in answering common budget questions.
How do I show nursing leadership how the hours per patient day (HPPD) is calculated?
We’re going to focus on the Direct Care HPPD as it is the primary HPPD displayed in Clinical Scheduling Extensions. Here's what we recommend:
- Schedule a short working session with the nursing manager.
- Use the Unit Profile or Staffing Analysis reports as a baseline report to share the HPPD configured currently in Extensions.
- Confirm the direct care staffing grid or staffing matrix is accurate in Extensions. The easiest way to review the matrix is by running the Staffing Requirements report. If the unit has multiple matrices (weekend vs. weekday, for example), be sure to run the report for each matrix (select a weekday and a weekend day).
- Confirm the budgeted census for the unit with nursing leadership and make sure it matches the budgeted census under Setup > Budget > Shift Divisions.
- Using the Staffing Requirements report, look at the range for the budgeted census for both shifts. Add up the hours per patient shift (HPPS) from the far-right column to determine the budgeted direct care HPPD. This number should match the HPPD/HPUOS (Hours per unit of service) on the Unit Profile and Staffing Analysis reports.
How do I make corrections?
- Always start with the matrix since the budget setup screen uses this data! You can update the matrix in your UKG Workforce Central or UKG Dimensions solutions.
- If you’re using Extensions Scheduler (formerly OptiLink Scheduling), update the matrix under Setup > Matrices.
- Update the budgeted census under Setup > Budget > Shift Divisions. Be sure to propose a new effective date that is equal to or later than the current effective date of the matrix.
- Calculate the Direct HPPD by pushing Calculate on the Setup > Budget screen.
- Review the new HPPD by running the Unit Profile report.
- If the HPPD is still slightly off from the number provided by your finance department, you can manually update the Direct hours for each shift under Setup > Budget > Shift Budget Components and then select Save. Be sure NOT to push Calculate again as it will override your manual entry.
Understand that some variances may be expected by your organization
- Are the same roles and types of hours included in the finance HPPD as the staffing matrix? Consider if roles like RN managers and unit clerks are in the finance budget.
- Pay attention to effective dates! Be sure the budget effective date is AFTER the matrix effective date.
- Decimals matter! Some organizations use decimals in the budgeted census or on the matrix. Consider if decimals make sense with your use of the system (staffing targets, etc.).
Additional resources for productivity and budget metrics
Report Legends: Located on the final page of reports that contain calculations (most productivity reports), the report legend will help users understand the various report components. You can turn the legend on or off in the report parameters.
Online Help: Clicking on the Help (?) icon in the top right of the Reporting screen will narrow the online help topics down to reports. Select Report Details from the bottom of the Help page to see high-level descriptions of each report like the Staffing Analysis report.
Hover Text: Hover over the report under the Reporting tab to see a thumbnail of the report and a short description.
Working Smarter Café Blogs:
- Reports to Answer Your Budget and Productivity Questions: Learn from Megan Schramm, a UKG solution consultant, about reports that will help you get the answers to your budget and productivity questions.
- Optimizing Usage of Workforce Scheduler Extensions — Reviewing Your Configuration: Kevin Devine, a UKG solution consultant and clinical expert for Clinical Scheduling Extensions, offers tips for maximizing the use of your solution.